Take a seat at the holiday table of Downton Abbey, the historic British estate at the heart of the popular PBS series with The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook. This elegant coffee table cookbook highlights the luxury and elegance of Christmas at Downton Abbey and features a collection of traditional British holiday recipes, from appetizers to desserts, that were popular during the Edwardian period.
In addition to festive food and drink, The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook also includes the fascinating history of English Christmas traditions, and a guide to hosting a Christmas dinner in Downton Abbey style.
Tradition Edwardian Christmas dishes, including:
- Palestine Soup
- Sole à la Dorchester
- Duck with Orange, Lemon and Olives
- Boar’s Head Pie
- Spinach Balls à l’Italienne
- Angels on Horseback
- Nesselrode Ice Pudding
- Whitby Yule Cake
- Cambridge Milk Punch
Tips for Hosting a Downton Abbey-style Christmas Dinner:
- Arrange an abundance of winter greens down the middle of the dining table, on side tables, and even in a fireplace that will remain unlit.
- Put your tree in the dining room or in the area where you will be serving drinks before the meal to add to the festive ambience of your holiday dinner.
- Arrange flowers and greens with a bit of height in tall vases.
- Serve drinks in another room before going through to dinner. For an authentic feel of the period serve mulled cider from a large punch bowl. Cocktails should be already prepared and on a tray when the guests arrive.
- Set the table with a crisp, white tablecloth and starched white napkins. Provide guests with a set of cutlery for each course and four glasses: footed glass for water, white wine, red wine, and dessert wine.
- Place a handwritten menu in a menu-card holder positioned above the dinner plate and next to the glasses.
- While a Christmas dinner at Downton Abbey would include 8 courses, a modern table can have four or five: a soup; a fish starter; a showstopper roast; and a choice of two or three vegetable dishes.
- After dessert, offer a choice of two or three savories, small dishes much like the amuse-bouches served today at the beginning of a meal.
Woven throughout the book are evocative narratives about Christmas traditions, seasonal anecdotes from the award-winning series, colorful photographs of finished dishes, fan-favorite moments from the Christmas episodes, and character quotes bring the spirit of the holidays to life.
The perfect gift for the Downton Abbey fan, The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook
will become a cherished souvenir of the beloved series, and inspire new holiday traditions.
The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook
Foreword by Regula Ysewijn | Food Photography by John Kernick
Weldon Owen | October 27, 2020 | 6.75 in. × 8.5 in. | 144 pages
Hardcover | $25.00
About Downton Abbey
Downton Abbey aired for six seasons on MASTERPIECE on PBS in the US and reached more than 26 million viewers in its final season, making it the highest-rated PBS drama series of all time. A Carnival Films/MASTERPIECE co-production, the series was written and created by Julian Fellowes and executive produced by Gareth Neame, Liz Trubridge Nigel Marchant and Fellowes. Downton Abbey is one of the largest UK drama exports of all time, seen in over 250 territories worldwide. With 15 wins and 69 nominations, it is the most nominated non-US show in the history of the Emmys. Also, the winner of three Golden Globes, a special BAFTA and four Screen Actors Guild Awards, the series has captured an extensive fan-base worldwide.
About Weldon Owen International
Founded in 1984, Weldon Owen International is a high-quality, nonfiction book publisher specializing in producing innovative, richly illustrated lifestyle books in the categories of food and drink, sports and fitness, popular science, craft and design, and popular culture for the global market. Weldon Owen International illustrates great ideas and breaks down complex skills so anyone can learn them, while being entertained and inspired along the way. Weldon Owen is a division of Insight Editions. For more information and inspiration, visit, weldonowen.com
About Carnival Films
Carnival Films is a division of NBCUniversal International Studios and one of the UK’s leading drama specialists. The company is responsible for the global television phenomenon and movie sensation Downton Abbey, which topped $190m at the box office and set a new opening record for Focus Features. Carnival’s current slate includes hit series The Last Kingdom for Netflix, upcoming Belgravia for EPIX/ITV, and the television adaption of Robert Harris’ novel, The Second Sleep. Other shows produced over Carnival’s history include Jamestown, Stan Lee’s Lucky Man, Poirot, Hotel Babylon, Whitechapel and Dracula, as well as award-winning mini-series such as Traffik, Any Human Heart, The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies and The Hollow Crown anthology. Carnival has received a host of national and international awards including Primetime Emmys, Golden Globes and BAFTAs, and has been recognised as the UK’s best production company at both the Bulldog Awards and Broadcast Awards.
Click for more eNews + Blog Archives
© All content + images copyright of news/blog providers.
- - -
NOTE: The inclusion of news or advertising in The Tea House Times publication, on our website, or in our online eNews does not constitute endorsement.
- - -
POSTS SPONSORED/PUBLISHED BY TheTeaHouseTimes.com
Weekly eNews is circulated via email. Join list at top of home page.
The Tea House Times is published 6x per year in print & digitally.
INFO - SINGLE ISSUES | SUBSCRIBE | ADVERTISE | CONTACT
SOCIAL MEDIA - Follow us @teahousetimes
TeaCourse.com | TeaEtiquetteCertified.com | TeaCourseFastTrack.com
ONLINE TRADE SHOW - TeaTradeShow.com
SHARE THIS ↓